Resources: Starting a New Business | Relocating a Business
Welcome to Eastern Montgomery County! If you are moving your business, or thinking about opening a business in Eastern Montgomery County below please find a brief list of government and licensing resources. Please contact the appropriate municipality directly.
The general process (for any municipality)
Depending on permitting, it may require up to 60–90 days to open for business in Eastern Montgomery County, even if you are not fitting out your office.
- Zoning — Check permitted uses for the lot with the zoning office. If the use is not permitted, then it will have to be approved by the zoning hearing board. Your use and fit-out may require different parking or sewage capacity than past uses at this location and this must be determined by the zoning board.
- Business privilege license
- Certificate of occupancy
- Contact EMCCC to attend your ribbon cutting ceremony!
- Economic and workforce development assistance for all Montgomery County programs is available through the Montgomery County Opportunity Loan Program.
- Pennsylvania's workforce recruitment programs are accessible through the county's CareerLink® program.
- The county provides grants for on-the-job training through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act program.
See also the Doing Business in Montgomery County guide.
- Planning and zoning officer : (267) 536-1010
- Planning and zoning officer (must determine land re-use prior to any occupancy): (267) 536-1010
- Tax office (mercantile or business privilege license): (267) 536-1024
- Engineering & code department (for certificate of occupancy, new construction plan preparation): (267) 536-1011
See the Ambler borough homepage and main contact: (215) 646-1000
- Department of Engineering, Zoning & Inspections: (215) 887-1000, ext. 213
- Finance office (mercantile or business privilege license): (215) 887-6200
Tax credit programs:
- 10-year Local Economic Revitalization Tax Assistance (LERTA) tax abatement for certain business and selected locations — contact main office: (215) 887-1000
To register business use and occupancy in Jenkintown, it is preferred that you directly visit or contact the main borough phone number: (215) 885-0700
- Berkheimer – Business Privilege / Mercantile permit: (610) 599-3140
- General township contact (use & occupancy permits): (215) 643-3131
- Community and Economic Development (a starting point for new businesses): (215) 643-3131, ext. 234
See also the Horsham township homepage.
To register business use and occupancy in Lower Moreland, it is preferred that you directly contact the main township phone number: (215) 947-3100
- New businesses located in certain parts of Lower Moreland and operating in certain industries are eligible to receive grants up to $100,000 per year through the PA Keystone Innovation Program.
- Businesses which redevelop land in Lower Moreland may be eligible for the Local Economic Revitalization Tax Assistance, enacted in 2017.
See also the Lower Moreland township homepage.
See the Springfield township homepage — main contact: (215) 836-7600
- Code Enforcement (certificate of occupancy): (215) 659-3100, ext. 1032
- Business Tax office (mercantile or business privilege license): (215) 659-3100, ext. 1075
See the Upper Moreland township homepage — main contact: (215) 659-3100
To register business use and occupancy in Upper Dublin, it is preferred that you directly contact the main township phone number: (215) 643-1600
- List your company on the Upper Dublin Township Online Business Directory.
To register business use and occupancy in Whitemarsh, it is preferred that you directly contact the main township phone number: (610) 825-9416
See the Whitemarsh township homepage.
Free, comprehensive guide for Veterans looking to starting a business.