Starting a Business
Business Resources for Starting a New Business or Relocating a Business to Eastern Montgomery County
Welcome to Eastern Montgomery County! If you are moving your business, or thinking about opening a business in Eastern Montgomery County below please find a brief list of government and licensing resources. Please contact the appropriate municipality directly.
The general process (for any municipality)
Depending on permitting, it may require up to 60–90 days to open for business in Eastern Montgomery County, even if you are not fitting out your office.
- Zoning— Check permitted uses for the lot with the zoning office. If the use is not permitted, then it will have to be approved by the zoning hearing board. Your use and fit-out may require different parking or sewage capacity than past uses at this location and this must be determined by the zoning board.
- Procure Business privilege license
- Certificate of occupancy
- Contact EMCCC to assist with your ribbon cutting ceremony!
- Economic and workforce development assistance for all Montgomery County programs is available through the Montgomery County Opportunity Loan Program.
- Pennsylvania's workforce recruitment programs are accessible through the county's CareerLink® program.
- The county provides grants for on-the-job training through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act program.
See also the Doing Business in Montgomery County guide.
- Planning and zoning officer: (267) 536-1010
- Planning and zoning officer(must determine land re-use prior to any occupancy): (267) 536-1010
- Tax office(mercantile or business privilege license): (267) 536-1024
- Engineering & code department(for certificate of occupancy, new construction plan preparation): (267) 536-1011
See also the Abington township homepage and the Starting a Business... Quick Reference Guide.